Nothing stirs things up on the party front quite like a drink station with an interactive theme. This one stays summer sweet with delicately scented herbs as garnish. Simply dress a table with a breezy theme, select a few base spirits and mixers, prepare your garden-fresh snippets, and you’re basically set. For a fun signature touch, spike stir sticks with ice-cold melon balls, pineapple cubes and cherries. Ridiculously easy, right? Cheers!*
*As featured in Wedding Essentials Magazine
PHOTOGRAPHY Heidi Thorson (me)
STYLING Rachel Cain
TEXT Chris Christen
LOCATION Elmwood Park
STEP 1 Using scissors, cut plastic drinking straws to various lengths.
STEP 2 Hot glue straw sections to form geometric shapes.
STEP 3 Apply acrylic or spray paint and let dry.
STEP 4 Hang and add floral detail as desired.
As featured in Wedding Essentials Magazine.
I wanted mountains, I wanted city, I wanted water and wildlife. Salt Lake City hit all of those marks – and all without having to travel too far, too.
See a photo you like? Buy a print here!
I have some exciting news, friends! Juli and Colt are married — and I had the opportunity to photograph their special day with Kim Dyer Photography!
Juli and Colt intended to have their ceremony outside, but it was a chilly, rainy day — not to mention it had rained multiple days before the wedding, making the ground ultra soggy. They moved the ceremony inside to the recently renovated Ryban Building on the Washington County Fair Grounds, where they also hosted their reception.
Beautiful bride Juli was smart to have her girls wear boots instead of high heels. I definitely stuck with rain boots for the day!
This couple personalized their ceremony with a branding ceremony — and no it did not involve a cow, as was my first thought. No, Colt had a custom brand made and heated it before the ceremony and the couple used it to brand a wooden frame as an act of unity, which was super cool since I had not seen that done before!
Congratulations to the new Mr. & Mrs. Willis!
More about weddings here!
I’ve been photographing this family from the start and it’s always a joy. My nephew Lucas is seriously one happy kid!
Since I’m constantly snapping photos of my side of the family, my sister gifted her mother-in-law a family photography session for Mother’s Day. So naturally we had to get in some extra photos of grandma Gloria and Lucas. And as a girl who loves her own grandma, I can’t help but say “Aww, cute!” when I look at them!
It’s a lifestyle shoot of the perfect weekend. I’ve posted several photo adventures with my gal pal Michelle on here, but this play day was definitely one of my faves. We spent the day going from a casual coffee shop, to the farmer’s market, to a patio lunch scene, to drinks in the Blackstone District, and then to the lake for a boat ride and water sports. And if it hadn’t been a super windy day, we would’ve added in a bonfire!
Confession: Ever since I wrote my first 50 Fun Facts You Might Not Know About Me, I would randomly keep thinking of new things to add to the list.
I think it might have been an insecure part of me trying to come up with cooler, more interesting things about myself.
So here’s another random list that’s been rolling around in my head.
- I have a fear of stepping on manholes and sidewalk grates. I’m terrified that I’ll fall in and die.
- Honey Nut Cheerios is THE best breakfast/snack. One time I brought a bag full to work and people started asking who brought their child with them. I don’t have children.
- Favorite book to get me out of creative slump: Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon.
- When I was in elementary school, my dream job was to be a librarian — because hello — quiet time and naps! Also, books. Then I eventually changed my mind an wanted to be a teacher, then a nurse (until I realized I am actually truly terrible at science and math), then a writer and now I really do have an awesome job as an art director/designer/photographer.
- I went through an awful phase where I would only eat salad if it had Miracle Whip as dressing. GROSS!
- John Mayer is one of my favorite artists of all time. I actually cried tears of happiness when I went to see him in concert for the first time. I’m listening to The Search for Everything – Wave One while I write this.
- I have a dangerous sweet tooth.
- One year on Easter, I ate one too many Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and now I can’t stand to eat them. Same for Jelly Beans — the gross generic kind, not the Jelly Belly kind.
- Oranges are my favorite fruit. Also, grapes, apples, strawberries and blueberries.
- I had to ride my bike 6 miles (one way) just to get to my first job. Ambitious? Yes. Arriving to work tired and sweaty AF? Not attractive.
- I prefer pancakes over waffles.
- I really only like watching movies (and TV show episodes) that I haven’t seen before. I feel it’s more suspenseful and enjoy silently guessing what’s going to happen next.
- I rarely take my coffee black.
- I prefer cream over sugar. Real cream, not the powder kind.
- I don’t think I could live some place warm for too long. I would actually miss the snow. Don’t mistake that for the cold, I hate the cold.
- I took piano lessons for forever (so it seemed). But really it was about 5 years or so, and I’m not that great.
- My favorite thing to order at B&G Milky Way in Sioux Falls is a Turtle Sundae.
- One summer I had two jobs. I worked at a bread store (yum) and Dairy Queen (also yum). Surprisingly, I did not gain any weight that summer.
- I also love toffee.
- I consider myself an efficient driver.
- I’m a total night owl. I love slow, sleepy mornings.
- If I can’t fall asleep at night, some warm honey cinnamon water usually does the trick.
- I love cheese — ok, but who doesn’t?
- I have a not-so-secret obsession with office supplies, namely paper/notebooks and pens. Recently, I’ve been trying to downsize.
- When I was younger, my family used to eat Taco Bell almost every Sunday after church.
- I prefer my hair curled, but most days it ends up being straight because it takes less effort.
- My signature nail color is Essie’s Vanity Fairest. It’s the perfect blush-neutral. Subtle, yet polished.
- Bananas are my least favorite fruit.
- If I had more time in the day I would spend it taking more photos, documenting real life. Also napping.
- If I had more money, I would use it to travel.
- I enjoy road trips and consider myself a decent navigator.
- I believe getting lost simply makes for a better story.
- I tend to think and observe, rather than talk things out.
- It has been over five years since I have been on an airplane.
- I’m not afraid of heights.
- I love the thrill of trying new things.
- I’ve learned that divorce is just as terrible as death.
- If someone says I can’t do something, I enjoy responding with, “Watch me.”
- I enjoy wandering the farmer’s market on the weekend.
- I believe in spreading light into the world. Life is 100% too short to live in the dark.
- I love campfires. And s’mores, of course.
- I prefer to keep a real, paper planner, rather than use the calendar on my phone.
- I try and see the good in every situation.
- I do not have any kids, just nieces and nephews.
- If I had more time in the day I think I would enjoy cooking more. For now, PB&J, anyone?
- I probably enjoy Thanksgiving more than Christmas.
- I’m not good at coming up with jokes on the spot, but I can be funny.
- I generally feel comfortable in my own skin.
- Sunday brunch should be an every day thing.
- I’m a terrible dancer.
Photo by Michelle Bazis, edit by me.